19 000 farmers driven from north Nigeria
18 June 2013, 18:59
Maiduguri - Officials say Islamic militants have driven 19 000
rice farmers from northeast Nigeria while a military crackdown is preventing
thousands more from working their fields.
Agriculture commissioner Usman Zannah in Borno state warns
food shortages are imminent in the fifth week of a state of emergency in the
Zannah told The Associated Press Tuesday that roadblocks
prevent farmers from reaching their fields while those in the hinterlands
cannot reach towns to buy fertilizer and hire labour.
Chad Basin Development Authority director Garba Iliya said
last week that 10 000 hectares of rice paddies have been abandoned by some
19 000 farmers at the peak of the harvesting season.
Islamic militants have killed more than 150 people in
attacks in northeast Nigeria this year. Soldiers are accused of killing dozens