Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


1 000s missing in Nigeria – Red Cross

06 February 2014, 20:05

Lagos - Tens of thousands of people in Nigeria are missing out on vital services because of conflict, with the areas where Boko Haram operates worst affected, the Red Cross said on Thursday.

The ICRC said it had helped at least 40 000 people hit by the Islamist insurgency in the northeast, by religious and ethnic tensions in central Nigeria, and by crime in the oil-rich southern Delta region.

The head of the humanitarian body's delegation in Nigeria, Zoran Jovanovic, said the problem was worst in the northeast, which has borne the brunt of Boko Haram violence and the military response.

"The availability of shelter, food, water, clothes and health services has worsened in that region," he said in an emailed statement.

According to the United Nations, as of last month nearly 12 500 Nigerians had fled east to neighbouring Cameroon and 8 000 north to Niger because of the continued violence.

The ICRC said it had been helping those who have stayed and since August last year, more than 18 000 people in Borno state had been given shelter and essentials.

About 45% of them were women, including many widowed and elderly, it added.

Assistance also included daily food rations, given that prices have rocketed because of the conflict and there are frequent shortages of essential items.

Claims of torture

The Boko Haram insurgency, which began in 2009, is the country's most pressing security issue and last year saw three northeast states placed under emergency rule.

The Council on Foreign Relations this week said that 3 383 people had died in Boko Haram attacks since May 2011 when President Goodluck Jonathan took office.

The US thinktank said it uses the start of Jonathan's presidency because "it was an event that highlighted the increasing bifurcation of the country on regional and religious lines".

The ICRC, meanwhile said it had for the first time been granted access to people held in custody in military-run facilities in Borno.

The visits took place last month but no further details would be issued, it added.

Rights groups have criticised not only the mass detention of ordinary Nigerians suspected of Boko Haram links but also the conditions in which they were being held.

Human Rights Watch said in November last year that there were "credible" claims of torture and deaths in custody.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...